Hardware ideas

Talk about experiences, strategies, and ideas for playing Lazer Tag Team Ops laser tag.
Joep

Hardware ideas

Post by Joep »

Probably not so easy to implement, but just some wild ideas:
  • Could you make the command center be able to run when disconnected from the pc too? So you connect it, start a game, then disconnect it and after the game ends, reconnect it and debrief?
  • Could it have wifi instead of usb?
  • Could you have multiple command centers work together? I have no idea if this is possible with the protocol, but could you have 2 command centers acting as zones for own the zone? Or have 2 command centers as respawn points? And have them work for 1 specific team only?
  • Could you have a command center act as a medic box? So players can shoot it, having the command center acting like the player asked for medic help, sending lives to the player?
Joep

Re: Hardware ideas

Post by Joep »

The yet-to-be-released Skirmos guns (https://skirmos.com/) use radio communication between the guns for extra communication. Maybe that's an idea for a nice extra?

Imagine having multiple command centers, one is used as the host, but others are being used for multiple functions. I already mentioned medic boxes, or multiple respawn points, or multiple zones to own.

How about a sentry gun? This would be a command center, with unlimited reloads and unlimited lives (is that possible?), shooting in all directions constantly. The receiver would be very insensitive, so you can only hit it when you are really close to it. By shooting it, it turns to your team, shooting out your signal, scoring points for you if another player gets hit by it. You can not hit the sentry when it is already owned by your team (you can not steal it from a team member to score points yourself)

Or how about zones to own, but instead of scoring points during the game for owning it, you only score points for owning the zone when the game ends? With an odd number of zones in the game, the team owning the most zones at the end of the game wins.

Ofcourse, for all of these ideas, it would be nice to have the command centers light up in the colours of the team owning the zone or sentry, as mentioned in the teams-topic :-)
riley
Site Admin

Post by riley »

I have plans for all of this. It will take a lot of time though. I'm planning on ammo box type devices with wireless mesh networking that will open up a whole bunch of new gameplay scenarios.

My ultimate goal is to be able to run games similar to Counter-Strike's bomb defusal games, and like Team Fortress 2's control point and capture the flag games.
Joep

Post by Joep »

Nice, those are actually 2 games I had in mind when the ideas came up :-) I own a Nerf electronic bomb we sometimes use for "defuse the bomb" games, but it would be nicer if the bomb also knew the lazer tag protocol, so you can't defuse the bomb when you're tagged out for example
Joep

Post by Joep »

riley wrote:I have plans for all of this. It will take a lot of time though.
I asked for a big box of patience for Christmas, just to be able to hold my excitement under control :-)

Probably already on your list too: some kind of belt, vest, helmet,... with sensors only, for some kind of "protect the VIP" game, so one person (per team) can be the VIP that needs to be protected without being able to shoot himself, but without the option just to block of his gun sensor... (2 or 3 sensors on the VIP would be great)